Thursday, June 2, 2011

It Is EASY To Do It...

But it is just as easy not to do it.

I started my training this week and the hardest part was also easy...I just had to do it.

In order to know where you are going, you have to see where you are at.

Ever try to find yourself on a map without a "YOU ARE HERE" marker? 

It may not be pretty, but I want to measure my fitness level, take measurements and (gasp!) take photos.  

So this week is a testing week to see where I am at.  I had a swim analysis tonight. I am with the coach that taught me how to swim.  Tonight she was going to time me doing a 200 meter freestyle swim and shoot video to capture my form in slow motion. 

Okay, so maybe my head swelled a few sizes tonight.

When I finished, she ranted and raved on how far I have come from a year ago.  Granted, I could not swim a single stroke last year, but still, the praise sure made me feel like the bomb.  After she filmed me, she was able to give me drills on what she saw right off the bat.

I noticed improvement immediately.  I am actually excited to get back in the pool and keep practicing.

I just love instant results.  Sigh.

I did my running test yesterday.  I ran an 8:45 mile at the track.  I was supposed to run an all out 1.5 mile.  My final time was 13:13.  I also had to run a slow 1.5 mile.  I think this is to improve my slow endurance pace as well.  It felt weird to time myself at the same time as limiting my heart rate.  I completed this set with a time of 16:32.

I have not tested on the bike yet.  I will do this Tuesday. Instead I went back to spin class.  As usual, my favorite spin instructor had me motivated again in no time.

I have a sprint triathlon this Sunday.  The Tejas Triathlon.  That will a great test to see where I stand to start my training season.

I am still trying to figure out my nutrition plan during the training process.  I am at a loss on how to approach this.  I will be doing more research in the near future.  I know I have to stay away from dairy.  I have a love affair with cheese.  Since I now am aware of how much sodium cheese contains, I can see the bloating results after every "cheesy" meal.  By just cutting out excess sodium, you lose extra water weight overnight.  On the other hand, I am noticing more toe cramps during my swims.  So I can not cut it out completely. I know I want to go toward a heavy fruit and vegetable base.  Now deciding how much meat and/or animal products I want to add on a daily basis; this is where I am still on the fence.

Next week, I start strength training.  I am expecting to be a big baby about it because I know I am going to hurt all week. A necessary evil to get to where I need to be.  I will have to just suck it up, cupcake, because that starting assessment is not going to be pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment