Sunday, December 7, 2014

2014 Baton Rouge "Chicken" Marathon Report

So my quest to complete a marathon in my 8th state was a fail.  

Lousiana. Baton Rouge Beach Marathon (BRBM)

On the bright side, I did get a half marathon medal.  

Somewhere between mile 5-6 I tripped on a sidewalk drop off.  To keep myself from falling, I did some cool matrix type moves but in the process of looking so bad ass, I tweaked my hip. 

The rest of the loop was a combination of walking and running because my right hip area was on fire.  At the rate I was going, I knew I would not finish the second loop under the 6 hour cut off.  I cut my losses and stopped after the first loop. It was somewhere around 2:47.  RESULTS FOUND HERE.

Forty five minutes later the skies opened up and the rain poured down.  But at this point I was cozy and dry in the shuttle headed back to the hotel.  Part of me felt sad that I did not finish what I set out to conquer but at the same time, I was happy that I was not suffering out in the rain in pain.

Regardless of not getting my marathon medal, I absolutely loved this race.  

The race started off with a little Expo, where I met and chatted with a few race directors and race buddies.  I learned there was a speaker who was the first lady to run the Boston Marathon that I had not heard of before.  

I was intrigued.  

When we came down to get a good seat, I was excited to discover we were going to be served dinner.  Homemade Cajun food and drinks (and pizza).  Then Katherine Switzer got up to speak.  I was mesmerized.  She spoke with such energy and intensity.  I did not want her to stop telling her story.  

She gave us some special takeaways.  Here are the top 3 I remember.
  1.   Show up.
  2.   Influence a young person.  Encourage them to do anything.
  3.   Life is for participating, not for spectating. 
All time was suspended.  Listening to her speak made me feel so lucky to be there. I wanted to soak up every word.

Next her husband introduced Spirit of the Marathon II.  Another round of goose bumps. Gave me a new perspective on why we run.  I highly recommend it.  (Word of warning, it will make you want to run Rome.)  

So even though my run was not one of the best, the race organization was top notch.  The food was incredible, the event was so well organized, the course was beautiful, and I was able to enjoy it with two beautiful friends.  

Oh, and I did make it to swim last week.  I was so proud.  This week, I will do the same schedule, but this time, I need to keep up with my running.  After all, Ms. Switzer says running changes the world for the better. (I could just do without the clumsiness.)

No comments:

Post a Comment