Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 1: Defeating the Inner Child

I did it!! I did it!! I got up at 4:30am and went to my first Masters swim class.

It was so cold and I wanted to stay in my warm cozy bed so badly.  My inner child was cursing me out, kicking, screaming and demanding I crawl back in to bed.  Thankfully, I checked my messages on my phone when I woke up and read all the amazing words of support from my wonderful friends who read about my challenge last night.  

That was all the kick in the butt I needed.  I was up and out the door and freezing my tush off.

The pool was busy.  Every lane had at least two swimmers.  Really?  All these people do this so early?

I introduced my self to Coach D and he placed me in the furthest lane closest to the wall. I jumped in the heated pool (yes, heated, whew!) and started swimming.  

Normally I swim for 500 yards in 30 minutes. Slow and easy. 

Not today...I went the full hour with very little stopping.  He had me freestyle fast, slow, backstroke, breaststroke, and drills with the kick board. My back is sore and my arms ache.  I sure hope it will get easier.  It was tough even with it being a modified workout. I was not allowed to rest more than 30 seconds. 

The coach is from Bulgaria and has a very heavy accent.  My  swim mate (who shared a lane with me) told me he kneeled down next to her, and told her "You know I don' like when you mees practice every Monday. You mees 3 time already. You have to be here every day or I cannot teach you and I have to start all over again." 

Yikes. This coach means business which means, and I better not skip a single class.  

Thank goodness for this challenge. Coach told me I went over 1000 yards in one hour. 

Niiiice.  I like those numbers!

I tell ya...after that workout...my appetite has been through the roof all day long!

As expected, I am ready to crash early tonight. I went to bed last night at 10:30pm and I am hoping tonight I will be in bed by 9:30pm.  

Tomorrow is a spinning workout. At least I have more experience with this one and it is way less intimidating.

No comments:

Post a Comment