Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 14: 61 Years Ago Today

This post is for all the active dad's (or mom's) out there. 

Do not take for granted how influential your exercising has on your children.

When I was little, I remember my dad crossing the finish line of the Boulder marathon.  I did not understand the distance of 26.2 miles but I did understand the thrill of crossing the finish line.  I wanted to taste it.

I have a fond memory of sitting on my dad's feet and counting each sit-up after every run until he reached 100.  We did this after every run.  It was a very important job for a 5 year old. This was duty.

My dad religiously ran at the high school track every other day.  My brother and I used to go with him since the high school track sand pit was our own private sandbox. Sometimes we drove.  Sometimes we walked.  And some days we brought our golden retriever mutt, Pepper, who loved to run by his side. When I squint my eyes, I can see their silhouettes against the sky of a setting sun from that sandbox.

When I was ready to learn to ride a bike, I proudly rode by his side on that track, until I forgot how to turn and I went off the track and rolling down the hill. I learned how triumph sometimes comes with pain.

I can still hear the clickety-clack of the old gravity style treadmill and I can still remember the smell of the sweat lingering behind for hours in the basement where the only gym equipment was a weight bench and a single set of barbells.  This is how I learned it shouldn't take a lot of bells and whistles to work up a good sweat.

When I got older and began to run on the high school track team, I was so proud of the day I could finally run his pace in my first 5K.  I don't think I stopped smiling that day.

All of who I am today, is based on many of these life experiences.  Without knowing it, I was surrounded by the importance of taking care of your body, moving your body and learning how to set your mind to something to accomplish a goal.

My dad has been gone now for almost 13 years, but those memories are with me every time I run.

And I know his spirit still runs with me.

Just so you know, your kids are watching.  And you are making an impression they will never forget.

My dad would be 61 years old if he was still alive today.  Happy birthday, Dad.  Thank you.

Breakfast:
  • Oatmeal with blueberries, bananas and cinnamon
  • Hummus and crackers
 Lunch
  • Chiplotle vegetarian salad bowl (rice, beans, lettuce and guacamole)
  • Blackberries
  • Ice tea
  • 1 rice cake
Dinner (Kingwood Tri Club had a meeting that I attended at Los Cucos)
  • 2 Margaritas on the rocks with salt
  • Chips/Salsa (yeah, I know, not my healthiest dinner to date but I was hungry!)
  • Bowl of Honey Bunches Oat with Almonds with soy lite milk

6 comments:

  1. Great post Jenny. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful memories. You father, and his hard work, certainly left a legacy, which you've followed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in tears. Beautiful post jenny. I love you and your Dad. I miss him so much too. He was always so supportive and an inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I'm teary eyed now! That was beautiful! I had just told Keith tonight how exercising was a gift to our boys. It sets a good example and keeps us around longer. Reading this just confirms that. Thank you for sharing your memories! It was touching. :)

    ReplyDelete